Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Featured on NBC

Bet you didn't know that Miss New York is also a volunteer firefighter!

While all of this occurred before I became Miss New York, it was a really incredible experience for me and I would like to share with you all...

During the summer of 2008, I was chosen to receive an award, scholarship, and a grant for my Fire Department from the National Volunteer Fire Council & the Dunkin Brands Community Foundation for my dedication to my fire department and my service to my community. Shortly after that I was contacted by their PR department about a major television network’s interest in doing a story about me.

Here is a link to a video from the award ceremony in Baltimore, MD. (I am interviewed about 4 minutes in):
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1701276767?bctid=1701249268

Back in December 2008, NBC was filming a story about female firefighters, and I was fortunate enough to be chosen to headline it. Originally, the story aired on Channel One and played in High Schools across the country. I thought that was a fantastic opportunity for me to reach teenagers and encourage them that as long as you set your mind to something anything is possible – even if it means forging your own path in uncharted territory, such as being a female firefighter. As though that weren’t good enough, it was then picked up by NBC Nightly News and aired nationally on NBC. That same night I was contacted by NBC to do a live interview with Chuck Scarborough on NBC NY Nonstop, which aired the following week. For those of you who aren’t familiar, Chuck Scarborough is just about as big as they come in terms of journalists and anchormen here in New York. It was an unbelievably incredible experience and I feel so blessed to have been given that opportunity.

Below is a link to the original story that aired on Channel One and was used for the national story on NBC:
http://www.channelone.com/onair/index.vm?releasePID=Ilapa9DgxHYBuWywK3WLnICwdSt_38lv

It's funny what you come across when you Google yourself! I found this story from NBC in Idaho about me:
Firefighter Grants from President Obama - KPVI NEWS 6: Pocatello, Idaho Falls-Weather, Sports, News-

Unfortuantely, I don't have a copy of my live interview with Chuck Scarborough (I haven't even seen it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment