Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I'm tri-ing for a cure!

When I compete in the national pageant, 30% of my overall score will come from a community service project that I have done. I already do a lot of volunteer work, but I have decided to take on one more. On August 30th I will be completing a triathlon to raise at least $2,000 for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS). This has proven to be one of the most challenging things I have ever undertaken. Training is…tough. From the daily workouts - swimming, biking, and running, my body has taken quite a beating! However, I keep pushing forward because as tough as training is, chemo is tougher! I keep focusing on the goal and that is to raise money to help fund research to cure blood cancers as well as to provide financial support to patients and their families.

How can you help?
1. Online: You can make a credit card contribution on my personal fundraising website: http://pages.teamintraining.org/li/tobaytri09/ksulla
2. Mail or in person: If you prefer to make a contribution by check or in cash you may do so by giving it to me or mailing it to me at PO Box 234096, Great Neck, NY 11023. Please make your check out to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
3. Purchase a t-shirt: I have designed t-shirts for you to purchase to show your support for LLS. Simply go to: http://shirtsbykayla.spreadshirt.com and purchase a t-shirt. $10 from each shirt that is purchased will go back to LLS.

Where Does Your Donation Go?
$25 could pay for the cost of 1 patient̢۪s chemotherapy drug prescription co-payment.
$50 could register 1 person to be a bone marrow donor.
$75 could provide HLA (bone marrow) typing for a family member of a patient with leukemia.
$150 provides 10 patients access to a web-conference to learn about their specific blood cancer.
$300 will train 25 peer volunteers who can provide emotional support to newly diagnosed patients.
$500 could provide patient aid to a person with Leukemia or a related cancer for a year.

Click on the blog title to learn more about my mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment