Friday, November 13, 2009

Help Brighten the Holidays for our Troops Overseas with Holiday Cards from Home!


A Fun Community Service Event for the Whole Family!

Come by the Alert Annex Firehouse at 140 Steamboat Road in Great Neck on
Sunday, November 22nd between 11 am & 3 pm to make Holiday cards for our Troops and remind them that we are thinking of them this holiday season!

Not feeling creative? We have pre-made cards too so all you have to do is fill them out!

If you can’t stay for the event, you may also drop off cards that you have already made.


Examples of Children's Letters to our Troops (unedited)

“Dear Soldier, Thank you so much for fighting for our freedom. My family appreciations you so much! I think you're so brave!…I hope you will be able to come home soon! Just to let you know winter is coming and trust me it’s going to be cold! Here’s a poem for you! Soldier/Soldier, so brave you are! Fighting for our freedom what a soldier you are! Soldier soldier my name is Kristin What is yours? I know soldier. I hope you know you’re not forgotten here!” Love ya, Kristin

"Dear Soldier, Hi my name is Tamisha and I am nine years old...What is your name? I live in Colorado, where do you live? I know you guys are in Iraq. I am woundering, what it is like over there and what do you eat. What family do you have? I wanted to tell you thanks for being brave and for going all the way to Iraq...I am woundering what are you going to do when you get back home?" Sincerely, Tamisha

"Dear Soldier, My name is Julia I have brown hair and brown eyes. I ware glasses and I have good friends. I live in Colorado, where do you live? I have a brother and a mom. Do you have family? I have 3 pets. Two cats and 1 frog. Do you have pets?...Thank you for being brave and fighting for freedom. A new movie is coming out called the Incredibles. I have seen it and it is really cool. Maybe you can see it when you come home. I hope you have a great holiday." Sincerely, Julia P.S. Please write back.

"Dear Soldier, What are you doing, in the military. I know what you are doing you are fighting for us. What do you eat over there? I eat a lot of stuff like hamburgers. I know you do not eat that. My name is Marco. What is your name? How do you take a shower? How is the weather, cold or hot? Our weather is cool. What do you live in a house. I think you live in a tent. What do you do at your work? Are you on a ship or fly planes off or do you fight for us...I am 9 years old. How old are you?...Do you have friends? I have, one named Titus, the other one is name Ryan and the other one is called Zach. They are my friends. In my free time I play with my firends. What do you do on your free time? Do you get to play with your friends? I am smart, are you smart? I have to practice my homework every day. Do you have to practice to get ready to fight the bad people. Thank you for fighting for us. I hope you write back to me." Sincerely, Marco

"Dear Soldiers, I am writing to you to say hello and happy holidays. My name is Javon. I am 9 years and three quarters. In Dec. 16 I will be 10. I have a twin brother and we share our birthday. I am 10 min. older than him...I think for my birthday I will have a lasor tag party. I wonder how you celabrate holidays in the desert of Iraq. Students at my school think of soldiers often. My teacher talks about soldiers, the whole school does. I always here about soldiers on the news. I know how busy you are fighting. Where are you in Iraq? Do you ever get a break from doing your duties?I hope you get to be with your family for the holidays. If you don't I hope you at least get to talk to them. I hope you can go back to your home soon. Maybe when your in Iraq you can learn to speak their language." Happy holidays and be safe from Javon

"Dear Soldiers, Hi my name is Najah, I am 10 years old. I love writing so much, and reading...Do you like being a soldier? Is it scary being out there? You're brave so I am trying to be brave just like you and I want to be just like you when I grow up. I hope you are doing well, and thank you for fighting for freedom. P.S. write back please" Sincerely, Najah

"Dear Friend, I know how it feels to not see your family because, my cousin is in the war too. My name is Alexis, I live in Colorado...I would like to now your name and if you like basketball. I play basketball all the time. I would also like to tell you I like that people that fight for our country or who stand up for our rights. Do you know what is going on back here? P.S. I hope you can write back. My favorite color is blue." Sincerely Alexis

If you would like to read more of these, go to: http://www.heartsacrossthemiles.org/children.html

No comments:

Post a Comment